Friday, April 4, 2014

List of things which I miss and not miss from my youth friendships and list of things which I like about today's friendships

Kyou Kara Maoh! The series which made me realize how much google depended on America for images (nowadays its different XD But at the time it took ages for the american fans to pick this anime up).
This is actually something which has been sort of bugging. For someone who dislikes to look back on her life, having this sort of happiness ghost lurking and somewhat putting holes in the new friendship process is a bit annoying. While I have the tendency to hold up to good memories a bit too much, I find that accepting that things change is also a necessity if I am to accept the world progressing in different direction.

This applies specially since I am not only in a different decade (jesus, I am old) but also in a different country, as such, it makes me a bit more narrow minded and less prone to enjoy the benefits of the new ways of interacting if I keep holding up to the amazing feelings of the past.

So, in order to make a bit of a memorial to those feelings/memories, here goes the things I miss the most from my youth friendships:



- Visit all my friends on a daily basis after school and stay until after dinner just watching anime, writing fanfictions and general fangirling.
- Having an important exam and studying while your friend plays next to you devil may cry 3 and doing breaks on the study to watch the movies or cheer her not to quit on the bosses she stumbled on (Actually, this just happened because she bought the game and her PS2 was dead, so she sort of went "I JUST WANT YOUR PS2, YOU CAN STUDY").
- Waking up at 6 am to go to the flea market and get all the rare games which sometimes showed up there, this is not only a bonding experience but a competition, as whoever spots first gets it.
- Playing until 5 am Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 and the objecting shifting from "winning" to "winning with the glorious father and son attack".
- Staying at someone's home and do an anime marathon (you need to watch the whole series) which at 7 am you are so emotionally crippled for the lack of sleep that you feel more emotional about the ending that it actually is.
- Doing a sleep over with more than 3 friends which you wait until midnight to watch an yaoi or gay movie (bonus if someone's grandfather shows up in a blowjob scene).
- Feeling the joined pain of lack of images on google of the show which just aired and you and your friend are hooked on.
- Trading cds and dvds with anime, amvs and make song cds to your friends.
- That one friend whose parents have a rare credit card and know how to work with internet shopping (YEAH, THERE WAS THIS TIME).
- No cellphone, so long talks over the home phone with both families wanting to make calls as well.
- Immediate friendships because someone besides you is actually checking the manga section.
- Dividing anime series among friends because you all had limited amount of downloads, later on surviving the dry spell of hitting your limit together with the rest of your friends (that and that one friend who got grounded because he downloaded too much).

There is actually more, but those are the ones I remember the best.

Now things which I appreciate from today's friendships and modern world:
-Friendships go slower, but there is a certain steady build up.
-Older means wiser (most of the times), meaning that it is more rare for you to have your group having friendship breakups with one another.
-Travelling together becomes a possibility, which leads to many unforgettable memories.
-Moving around doesn't mean that you lose the friendships, since facebook and skype are now a thing and you can always e-mail everyone any time.
-While you can't really visit your friends everyday, you can still talk to them everyday through chat.
-Sleepovers still exist, just less frequent
-Your cosplays actually look good now and although instant friendship connection is now less frequent, it still happens and it is great.
-Time you spend together has a lot more value now (this I am still getting used to).
- Drinking games!
-Full days of anime sessions still are a thing, just you can't mess up your sleeping schedule now.


Also, might be important to mention that I don't have a smartphone, so no permanent connection for me, probably if I had one I could add more things to the new friendship thing.

3 comments:

  1. This post me hit me in the feels - hello! I'm André or Blaze or Blazing_fenix, remember me? I sure do remember you!
    I can totally relate with these lists, although I'm not much of a anime fan, well, just change anime for video games and you have me. And my past. And my old friends.

    And now I'm sad :(
    I miss those times. Today, building friendships is so....risky and sometimes bad. I dunno.
    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaze!! Claro que me lembro de ti =D Foste do pessoal dos primeiros eventos que estive.

      And yeah, I miss those days also. But yeah, one must try to adapt to the new friendships as well. I mean, it might have been a sort of lucky strike that we got to live in that time and share those memories, but yeah, we can always try to look positive in the new age thing going on.

      I am good. I am in the netherlands now and trying my best to live in the present (since future is too uncertain and the past won't ever return). How about you?

      Delete
  2. Também cá ando, ainda em Portugal e a trabalhar como tradutor, han, crescemos tão rápidos :v
    Estás aí a estudar ou a trabalhar?

    Acho que o pior dos tempos antigos é termos saudades deles, por mais que queiramos, não se voltam a repetir e depois entramos numa espiral de saudosismo. Epá, esses meets e eventos - nem digas nada. Antes éramos uns poucos gatos-pingados, íamos ao Colombo, Fun Center, andar, andar, dizer asneiras e sermos totós à nossa maneira, foi por isso que nos juntámos todos.
    O que foste dizer agora XD

    ReplyDelete